press1's picture
press1
  • CC

+ 1 WR Maddox 800lb Bench press Screw-up!!

ad

So Guy's, yesterday History was supposed to be made and Julius Maddox was going for a World record 800lb's Unequipped Bench lift - Only for one of the plate loaders to 'accidentally' load an extra 25kg Red plate onto one side of the bar!!!

None of the plate loaders or the Judges noticed that one end had a lot more red steel on it than the other, as well as no one in the crowd. How on earth does this even happen??!!

He then lost his head understandably and I think became unbalanced in his shoulders after such a heavy and unbalanced unrack which then meant he missed the next attempt and it was all over .....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7vVjxBPD8M

kodiakGRRL's picture

press what federation was this do you know?

Spark's picture

"Maddox’s shot at history was the headline of an event called “Beasts of the Bench” — the latest in the World’s Ultimate Strongman (WUS) “Feats of Strength” series which has covered various records including Hafthor Bjornsson’s 501kg (1,104 pounds) deadlift and most recently Rob Kearney’s American Log Press record. It was broadcast on CoreSports as well as on ESPN and the Rogue Fitness YouTube channel. There was a small crowd of spectators in attendance which has been uncommon since the country has been dealing with the COVID-19 pandemic. The overall event was sanctioned by the United States Powerlifting Association (USPA). Legendary powerlifter and International Sports Hall of Famer Ed Coan served as one of the judges and the referee."

press1's picture

What you have to wonder is why doesn't the head referee do one final total weight count on the bar before the lifter gets on the bench?

In a promo × 1
Nicolai's picture

How unfortunate. They should have weighed the weights and loaded them up, the same way they did for Thor's deadlift. This IS a world record attempt, smh. Mad respect to Maddox tho. Only 200 pounds shy of a grand on bench.

Bill G's picture

Insane
That dude is huge.
Lucky he didnt crush the guy that made the mistake.
AND yeah that caused the second lift to fail. Exhausted and you know it got in his head.

Spark's picture

Yeah Bill this dude has the stats of a strongman. Not sure if a WR holding in PL was ever that big.

Julius is : Height: 6'3”. Weight: 440 lbs

He still doesn't look as if his technique is 100% yet. Dude just muscles it up.

Kirill and Spoto had great technique. Every rep on every set was in the groove.

Wounder what happened to Kirill?

press1's picture

When you are coming out to set a huge WR the last thing you should be worrying about is if one side is 55lb's heavier than the other! Next time they will forget to bring a bench ....

In a promo × 1
addicted.to.pain's picture

Really its impressive that he was able to even keep it balanced the way he did, and that 722lb looked like nothing .

press1's picture

How Jacked did that guy look that got up the 580lb's - despite being one of the weaker guy's in the group he's the one you wanna look like!

In a promo × 1
Sam I Am's picture

Jeez

Owes a Review × 1
DfromPhilly's picture

Absolutely ridiculous. I feel really bad for him. He’ll get it next time but still... I would have flipped the bench and pinned the judges under it.

Bad look on rogue too. Although that’s the power bar I’m getting as soon as it’s back in stock. That red handle is bad ass.

Gotta love the look of disgust on Ed Coan’s face tho.

press1's picture

Hey My man - I'm BACK Lmao ;-)

Yeh he has the look of WTF is going on - in the worst possible disgust .....

Can you imagine the amount of training, eating, pinning, Oral munching, sleeping and mental preparation that went into that one lift that lasts about 5 seconds all for it to be F'd up by that divvy??! I would be steaming .....

Yeh that bar looks awesome - first time I've ever seen one! How much are they?

In a promo × 1
DfromPhilly's picture

Lol glad to have you back brother.

And yea dude I can’t imagine the emotions he went through. He’s probably at the depression stage right now. Fucking disgrace.

The bar is the shit. 325 USD. Check it out (I think this is allowed cuz it’s in the video?)

https://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-45lb-ohio-powerlift-bar-cerakote