TheNewGuyAlive's picture
TheNewGuyAlive

Should I tell my doctor I’m on a cycle?

ad

So this is my first cycle. I haven’t got blood work done in 3 months I have to get it done this month. I’m worried about my doctor knowing I’m on cycles. Should I just be honest with him about it. Or will I get arrested?

Jaxattax86's picture

I personally wouldn’t. I made the mistake of taking a little too much test too close to my blood test in the beginning, and I came back with my test being 1,234 and my estro was high, above 60 I believe. He ended up lowering my dose from 100mg a week to 80mg a week. My next month, I skipped the dose before my blood work and came back at around 800. He was happy with that and kept me at that and moved me to every 3 months. So for the first 2 months or so, I was able to run a test only cycle to see how I responded. Once I got to a month before my blood work, I stopped the extra test, only did my test cyp 40mg twice a week, and I used test-prop in between up until about a week before my blood test because it’s out of your system so quick. This time, I came back a little under 600 and I did take adex, which my estro came back less than 5 lol. He didn’t say anything about that. He said my bloods were fine, he wants to do one more 3 month check up just to be sure, and from there he’ll move me over to every 6 months. I know I could easily just drop him and do it myself, but I do like having a valid prescription, and I do like having a medical professional reviewing my blood work. To me, it’s too risky to mention that I may or may not be taking more test and/or other compounds that are not prescribed. I have a feeling that as a doctor, he may drop me if I continue doing it or drop me right then and there, as he wouldn’t want the risk of treating someone who is also taking other compounds. God forbid something bad happens to me, and he has knowledge of my usage, a lawyer could jump on that and blame him and say he was the cause, that his advice is what led me to whatever happened.

Dial in your TRT dose. It’s important for when you’re not cycling. This isn’t a sprint. TRT is a lifelong thing. You’ll have plenty of time to do cycles in the future. Once your TRT dose is dialed in, they usually only bring you in once every 6-12 months, and just time it with that. Just my opinion.

thombodywork's picture

I always say to my doc when i am on cycle.

jimmie's picture

If you are in a state in which you can get your own blood work without a Dr then pay out of pocket and do it that way. Your Dr does not have to know.
If you don't, like where I live, then doctor orders are the only way to get blood tests. I asked my doc, he got the blood tests. Then about six months later I asked again. He asked for details on what I was taking. Then he refused to help. Now our meetings are awkward.

Chad P's picture

You must live in NY, Cali, Delaware, MA, or NJ?

Big Tone36's picture

If you doing routine blood work there not going to check testosterone levels. They will see perhaps a elevated RBC count and maybe cholesterol in a negative position. You won't be in trouble.

TheIcon's picture

I plan all mine around my blood tests. I get blood every 6 months now. So I have time to do a16 week cycle and 2 months off cycle of TRT dosage before each TRT blood test. HOwever at this point I am going to end my TRT doc. As I have mentioned to a few others on here. Paying $500 for a vial of Cyp (11wks) and then having to pay insurance to get my blood drawn. I could pay for 2 years worth of cyp and still get my own bloodwork done for less.

Jockstrap's picture

You tell your Dr youre using illicit drugs and you will lose your health insurance. Anything c3 coming from a ugl is illicit. Puts you in same group as high risk drug user ie heroine.

DO NOT TELL DR

Chad P's picture

I think his best bet is to just discontinue seeing that Dr. about the TRT. What he’s being prescribed is redundant and will only deteriorate his normal T levels, if it wasn’t for him cycling with his own supply. It’s an unnecessary risk he’s taking and now he has the burden of trying to conceal the truth on top of it.

Tony_C's picture

You're fine. Doctor patient confidentiality/HIPAA (if you're in the states). Your doc may not agree, but he can't say shit if he values his license. I was pretty upfront with my doctor in the past. Most recently not so much, but it's because my provider is under a corporation and I'd just prefer not to have it throughout my charts within the network. Most will just give you a lecture and tell you the risks that you should already be aware of and end of story. Some cool ones will give you advice because they know you're going to do it anyway.

Claudezilla's picture

Anything you tell you’re doctor goes into you’re permanent file and that’s a fact….now
This was year ago I’m saying almost 20 years ago and before I told them I asked multiple times if anything I say is only between us and he assured me
It was….nope absolute bullshit I got my hands on my file like 10 years later and wouldn’t ya know it every damn thing I told him was right there for all to see….sure maybe some docs are cool like that but I wouldn’t take the risk I just thought how are they going to help me if I’m not giving them the full scope of what I was putting into my body

In a promo × 1
Tony_C's picture

Oh no doubt he/she is going to most likely chart it. I'm not denying that.

Jockstrap's picture

Not true. Drs notes are proofread by superiors and ultimatly insurance. Hippa covers privacy until it lists needles and gear, drugs etc. Privacy just shows they cant discuss your issues with other citizens BUT the insurance companies oversee that

DeeMan's picture

Dr. Jockstrap...specialty: Jocks

Jockstrap's picture

Dr looked at me funny when bloods showed i needed trt. He just wrote script and requested bloods.

DeeMan's picture

Wow

Tony_C's picture

*HIPAA.
I've never personally encountered the issue you're referring to. I'd also be surprised because in my industry I've seen insurance pay for the medical costs resulting from recreational overdoses and many other substance abuse related medical costs. Life insurance policies are a whole other thing. My experience may be anecdotal though. You seem to know something I do not.

Greg's picture

I've worked in IT for the medical field for nearly 30 years. Each year was a required HIPAA course that I had to take. What the Jockstrap has said is true.

I've seen insurance pay for the medical costs resulting from recreational overdoses and many other substance abuse related medical costs.

After you're insured, they have to pay, they will also pay for rehab. If someone was an addict in the past, they may not consider it an existing condition. If it was far enough in the past, may not increase your rates as a higher risk.

It's another thing all together to go to your doctor, and not ask for help with your addiction but to ask for help in your choice to abuse a schedule III controlled substance.

Tony_C's picture

Again, apparently you guys know something I do not. My buddy's wife works in medical billing/coding, so maybe I'll run it by her and learn something new. However, again, my experiences are simply anecdotal, but often these said patient's are repeats. Addicts who OD don't usually OD just once (unless they die). I've seen drug addicts play the system, drug seeking and insurance still covers their bill as long as they don't AMA. Their charts are blown up with notes related to their substance abuse. Including Flags and FYIs on their charts. I've seen people come in and out of detox like a revolving door. So, everyone who pops on their tox screen in the ED will inevitably lose their health insurance? Now often times these insured addicts are under their parent's insurance until the age of 26. Idk if their parent being the subscriber would have any role to play in it. My own experience though, I was always pretty upfront with my doctors in the past without issue. In fact, I recently had shoulder surgery from a gym injury and I was pretty open with my physical therapist about it. I guess I'm just lucky though.

Greg's picture

You're conflating HIPAA with insurance policies.

HIPAA: Insurance companies are included as part of the doctor care. So are coders, and nurses, and IT professionals, x-ray technicians, sonographers, and lab technicians. All have access to medical records. Insurance companies can't report you to the police (HIPAA). I can't say I saw Brad Pitt get a colonoscopy. (HIPAA)

POLICIES: IF THEY ARE ALREADY INSURED. INSURANCE HAS TO PAY. If someone develops an addiction he's covered. If he continues to struggle with his addiction, he's covered even if he changes insurance companies (without lapsing coverage. They have to cover preexisting conditions) If he allows his coverage to lapse. He's not covered and may find it hard to get covered.

They will not insure an addict as a pre-existing condition. Anyone that goes to an emergency room, insurance or not, will not be turned away. With a recovered addict, re-read my post above.

Tony_C's picture

Look bro, I'm not going to do this round and round BS. I'm saying in my experience I've never seen what you're both referring to happen. That doesn't mean either of you are incorrect though. "IT for the medical field for nearly 30 years." Just about everyone in healthcare has to take an annual HIPAA course. No offense, but I don't think as an IT you'd know any better than I on the subject. I've got over a decade of emergency medicine experience in bedside and administrative capacities. I've documented said notes in charts. I've worked close with our billing team, but never worked billing; so I'm not going to pretend to be an expert on the subject. Hence, why I keep referring to my experiences as anecdotal. What I can say in response is I've seen people rollover on the same insurance policies the following year under the previously stated circumstances; meaning their insurance allowed them to renew their policy. Premiums are usually fixed through your employer (if that is whom you or the subscriber to the policy is insured through). So, I don't know how they'd raise premiums. I've never heard of health insurance denying a pre-existing (i.e., chronic) condition. SUD is a legitimately recognized condition. Not everyone wants to or is ready to get clean. SDI & Term Life are a different thing. I don't see how I am conflating HIPAA & Insurance Policies. Anyway, I'll just leave it at this: If the OP's concern is getting arrested for telling his doctor he uses PEDs. No! You will not. That DEFINITELY falls under HIPAA. You're doctor can't say crap about anything related to your medical care unless said person is involved in your care, there is a subpoena, or he feels you're a danger to yourself/others. If OP is concerned about losing his health coverage: read the fine print of your benefits & coverage on your policy. Just make an educated decision bro. You 100% won't get arrested though.

Greg's picture

Unclench your ass hole bro. My being in IT didn't have anything to do with it, I was relating as to how I, along with MANY in the medical field are required to know HIPAA. That was to let you know I am NOT relating "anecdotal" info. Too, there's no reason for anyone to think you worked in healthcare so don't act like I was trying to be condescending "schooling you".

That said, here's some schooling. I had access to file servers and as such had access to 100% of everyone's patient files. If I just opened a patient folder without just cause, I could be terminated. I can bunny-suit up, walk into surgery to fix some imaging or data software/hardware or monitor. Anything I heard or saw was HIPAA protected.

Any number of people can have access to a part of your file that is pertinent to fulfilling their roll in your healthcare. That includes the insurance company who needs justification to pay for the claims being made. I know this because files get electronically transferred directly from server to server, they don't get emailed and rarely anymore get faxed to a physical machine (e-faxed instead). Too, portals are set up where other agencies can gain access to files. (that's all IT infrastructure bud) If Acme Insurance had portal access to Tony C. patient folder, there was full read permission for all the files in the folder. (a simplified example of EMR handling)

Tony_C's picture

hahaha! Unclench my asshole!? You triggered a little bit? You must be too used to people licking your asshole in this forum just because "MOD" is next to your name. Whose conflating HIPAA and Insurance Policies now? Nothing I said about HIPAA was "anecdotal." I did say certain aspects of medical billing are outside of my realm and therefore anecdotal experiences. Everything you just said had absolutely no relevance to my previous points and has nothing to do with what tf we've been going back and forth about. First, anyone who opens a patient chart without cause/reason is risking termination. Techs/CNAs can access to any patient’s chart they chose. Agian, you're not special. That's an industry standard. Secondly, most medical billing is simple coding and rationale. That's all that is submitted. When insurance requests additional info is where it gets murky. Regardless, I'm not denying that insurance companies have the ability to see certain documentation/notes related to patient care; specifically related to the processing of a claim. I AM denying the liklihood of open substance abuse resulting in the inability to renew benefits, loss of coverage, or resulting in an increase in premiums. Not even mentioning the unethical aspect of it all. I never denied what either of you said because I haven't done my due diligence. I'm saying in over ten years I've never seen it. Bunch of outliers out there I guess. Regardless, I'm sorry I hurt your pride. Keep "schooling" me though bro. I'll be sure to reach out to you if Epic crashes. ;)

Greg's picture

You're fine. Doctor patient confidentiality/HIPAA (if you're in the states). Your doc may not agree, but he can't say shit if he values his license.

This, nimrod, is the issue being called out. You stated with authority that he was safe talking to his doctor because of HIPAA rules. THEN in later posts you start to back track.

I AM denying the [likelihood] of open substance abuse resulting in the inability to renew benefits.

Not relevant to the original post but a strawman argument you put forth to defend your original assertion that it was safe to talk to your doctor. I pointed out that as long as you're insured, insurance companies have to cover you. (You can renew your existing insurance if you don't let it lapse.) Hence, your misunderstanding based on perception. Now I'll take off my IT hat and put on my "Friends of Bill" jacket. As a recovered addict/alcoholic I can assure you that if you let your coverage lapse while in the throes of your addiction and they know about it, you will have a hard time getting new, affordable coverage.

I never said I was special. Just pointing out that, on this issue, unlike you, I know what I'm talking about.

You must be too used to people licking your asshole in this forum just because "MOD" is next to your name.

You've been here all of a month. You think you're the only chipmunk that has been unnecessarily rude (Mod tag or not) I'm interacting in the Forums as Greg, not MOD. Members here don't worry about retribution as long as the rules are followed.

Tony_C's picture

Regarding the quoted statement, his point was can he get arrested and that was what that response was to. If you want to nitpick what you see fit bro, go for it. It's right there in black and white. Everyone else can read it if they want to. My statement was his doctor legally can not disclose it to law enforcement, as well as I'm calling it extremely unlikely that he can't renew his policy (even after letting it lapse). As I mentioned if they are involved in your care it doesn't fall under HIPAA (i.e., insurance, as you mentioned). I never denied that in certain situations insurance can see chart notes/documents. I'm saying it doesn't matter. If you don't want it in your chart, then yeah, don't say shit. As for the insurance thing, I appreciate that you're now providing anecdotal experiences as well, but "I know what I'm talking about." I'm calling horseshit! If we're going based on experiences, my own and others, I have never seen it. Especially with regard to employer provided coverage. That's all I have said over and over. I've worked with addicts of all types from different walks of life. Regardless, I also said if you're (he is) truly concerned about it, read the fine print on your policy. I will give you your flowers for your recovery. I can respect that. Everything else you seem like an overgrown man child. 30 years in IT tells me you're up there in age. If you haven't learned how to talk to people yet, you're probably not going to. Unfortunately, we're here on a relatively anonymous forum, so it's not like we can let our hands do the talking if we want to keep talking shit. So, we'll never know who the "chipmunk" is. As for the, "you've been here for all of a month," c'mon guy?! There are a bunch of these types of forums. Me being new TO THIS ONE some how discredits me? That's a weird flex about some irrelevant seniority. You came at it with some sort of hierarchical pretentiousness, so I assumed it was because you were a moderator and felt special. Apparently that is just you though. I clearly struck a nerve with you bro. The whole nimrod, chipmunk shit made it quite clear. So settle down bubba, take a deep breath and "unclench your asshole bro." As for the rules, I'm probably walking a gray area at this point, so goodluck Greg! ;)

Greg's picture

My statement was his doctor legally [cannot] disclose it to law enforcement.

Bullshit, you clearly state the doctor "can't say shit". Period. Getting arrested or not it' still a bad Idea because it will permanently be on his medical record. And you make a blanket statement right from the start, "You're fine". Clearly, you're grasping at straws.

I however mentioned above that the insurance companies cannot call the cops as an example of HIPAA.

Insurance companies can't report you to the police (HIPAA)

I never said you couldn't find coverage if your addiction lapsed, repeatedly I stated:

if you let your coverage lapse while in the throes of your addiction and they know about it, you will have a hard time getting new, affordable coverage.

That said, you're conflating what is considered a disease with the willful use of a controlled substance which demonstrates an unhealthy, risky lifestyle that will more than likely increase your premiums and make you uninsurable by SOME companies.

If you haven't learned how to talk to people yet, you're probably not going to.

Me? this whole conversation went south when you condescendingly said, "Look bro, I'm not going to do this round and round BS." followed by an unnecessary attack and defensive posturing. That post following a respectable post suggesting there might be conflating issues. (Trying to clarify your comments because you can't seem to figure out how to form a paragraph to separate ideas.)

As for your time on eroids, you don't know anyone here, you certainly don't know me. And no one knows you. You may want to step back and chill out a little before you start impugning members on this site.

Tony_C's picture

You really want that last word don't you? ;) You're cherry picking hard man. Again, it's there. People can read it if they choose to do so and interpret themselves. If we were actually talking, we'd be in an echo chamber. Right now, it seems like you're just banging your head against the wall because it feels good when you stop. You're the only person I'm impugning; specifically with regard to this conversation (or whatever we're calling it). You get what you give bro. I haven't been here long, but I've been nothing but respectful to everyone else here. If your intent wasn't to come off condescending and pretentious you wouldn't have escalated further and clarified yourself to start. I think you're just upset I called you on it, and got triggered. For some reason beyond my own comprehension, I am vested in this merry-go-round of a conversation at this point. So, to take the burden of truth off of you and put this thing to bed I looked into it and placed said burden on myself. The main point you have been arguing is indeed incorrect. It is actually illegal (federally) and falls under the Patient Protection & Affordable Care Act (PPACA). Your personal experience may have predated the legislation, but it is (and has been for quite some time now) illegal.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/111th-congress/house-bill/3590/text

Now, hopefully we can let that dead horse lie... or we can keep talking shit, trying to prove our point, and you can keep reaching. Like I said though, it's not like we're going to duke it out. I'm clearly not going to get through to you. What's next cock pics and a dick measuring contest?

....Also, mobile device, typing on downtime... I'll try to be a little more thorough with my grammar and arrange my thoughts more concisely specifically for you in the future. I doubt it would get through regardless, but I'll try to do that for you.

AK80's picture

You won't get arrested. Tell him you're getting it from one of the men's health clinics down in Florida like everyone else. You can also make sure 3 or 4 days go by before you get the blood drawn and then immediately take your shot when you get back home. This will help to lower the test result. Or just don't say anything at all unless he brings it up!

Black90tsi's picture

In the future you should look into doing faster acting esters and shorter cycles. If you had done test p, npp and mast a for 6-8 weeks starting the immediately after you're tests that would leave you with 4-6 weeks for everything to clear your system before getting your blood work for the dr done. Chances of you getting arrested are probably pretty slim. However there are plenty of drs out there who won't deal with a patient running cycles. So they may well show you the door and refuse to continue your script.

I'd stop everything right now and just do your trt from now until you get your blood work. You really didn't think this through before you jumped into it.

Wildling's picture

Plan your cycles around blood work. I use my doctor prescribed oil for TRT only.

In a promo × 1
TheNewGuyAlive's picture

How’s that work my test are every 3 months and Deca is a 12 week cycle?

Wildling's picture

If you don’t get blood drawn, you don’t get a new script. Buy the test here for on cycle than use the 3 months of test when you get off. It’s not rocket science.

In a promo × 1
Chad P's picture

Honestly in his situation, his Dr. isn’t really doing much for him in prescribing 250mg per month. He’d be better off just stopping his visits and trying to find an actual TRT Dr. that knows what he’s doing. Until then just run his UGL test and monitor it himself.

Jockstrap's picture

250mg per month is normal. Divide your total by 4 and theres your weekly dose. Mine is 300mg per month. 75mg per week has me just over 800.

Chad P's picture

Ok he didn’t specify he was taking 62.5 mg per week. I just assumed he was doing an injection of 250mg

Jockstrap's picture

Drs really have no clue and mine in particular said 1 shot at 300mg total per month. Studying what we read here i simply adjusted. Seeing and endo is the best bet overall. They can see the full picture and maybe diet, bf and reboot works. Its hugely complicated. For muscle building we just see the gear food and gym. Super simplified

Chad P's picture

Yes this was my original thinking since he was seeing a primary instead of a hormone specialist. I’m still wondering if he’s splitting that dose up or just pinning it at once.

Jockstrap's picture

I agree!

TheNewGuyAlive's picture

So once a month it says inject 250mg form the doctor. So I buy extras, here I’ve been injecting twice a week at 250mg with Deca and Mast E. That’s for the 3 months. Should I wait one week prior to doing bloodwork?

TheNewGuyAlive's picture

No I get it here, but I need you to elaborate a little more still not quite understanding it the way you’re saying it.

Wildling's picture

Run your cycle... then run your prescription for three months... you should be close to the baseline the doctor has you at. I would find an endocrinologist though. 250mg a month does jack shit. What were you levels prior?

In a promo × 1
TheNewGuyAlive's picture

Shit bro I’m just being honest I’m not sure didn’t even get a copy just was told it was low.

Wildling's picture

You need a new doctor.

In a promo × 1
Chad P's picture

Exactly!

Ag4936cali's picture

You got to not sweat it. Find the right docter. Even trt docs.
Keep your shit put up from probation. They actually like healthy dudes, so just hide it.

In a promo × 2
Ag4936cali's picture

Look at all the drug addicts that get medical help. There's no hiding it. Doctor is private privileged, like a lawyer, he tells on you, you can whack him almost legally.

In a promo × 2
Chad P's picture

Is the bloodwork for your personal records or is it ordered? What’s your cycle? I’m pretty sure you don’t have to worry about getting arrested. The bloodwork isn’t a drug test that’s gonna reveal what compounds are in your blood. You may have elevated markers depending on what you’re running and how long you’ve been running.

TheNewGuyAlive's picture

Test C is prescribed but I’m running Deca and Mast E with it. It’s for personal but ordered from the doctor to see where my T levels are. Initially I went to him to get Test. He put me on test c

Chad P's picture

So it’s not a full metabolic panel or you don’t know? If it’s just your hormones you should be fine. If you tell him you’re running other compounds he will prob cut you off. You’re lucky to have a practice Dr prescribe it to you, most won’t do it. You’ll have to get bloods every 3 months for prescribed TRT if I’m not wrong, so keep that in mind for future reference.

Wildling's picture

My doctor is every six months... It actually helps me plan accordingly for my prescriptions. I don't think he is stupid though... I think the good ones are don't ask, don't tell. If it isn't noted & you are healthy why bother?

In a promo × 1
TheNewGuyAlive's picture

Yes I know that. It is hormone blood test I believe. So should I keep it on the DL and if he asks tell him the truth? I’m suppose to take 250mg a month I’ve been doing 250mg twice a week.