bigJOHNstud's picture
bigJOHNstud
  • 589
2669

Oil change every 10,000 miles?

ad

I have a 2014 Toyota and the dealer swears I can get by every 10,000 miles for an oil change with synthetic. I just can't do it. I'm still changing every 5,000. Any thoughts or info on this please chime in

Dogman1's picture

If it was a Chevy I would defiantly go the 10,000 but not very confident in the rice burner
:))

stang77's picture

Well I've been told that synthetic oil is capable of them miles but I change every 3000 to 5000 in my Stang but that's just me .

woody51's picture

well if its a newer car yes 10k is about right they are using synthetic oil thick like honey if you are getting it changed at the dealership tho...

bigJOHNstud's picture

Yeah I'm sticking with the dealer. The prices are the same as those quick joints so why not go to the dealer? Plus they cover the change every 10k miles. So once a year it's 50$

stang77's picture

Just do it your self and save the cash most oil changes can be done easily in no time at all.

ReadyToKillIt's picture

Not anymore. It used to be that way.

reloaded87's picture

The 3-5k oil changes is old school practice. My BMW alerts me every 15k for an oil change. When I purchased my car I was also told this by the dealer. My car has an oil condition sensor in the oil pan that monitors oil level and oil quality. I am sure most new cars today have this. I trust the OCI in my Beamer. Just make sure you're using a LL-01 synthetic oil. Not all synthetic oils are long life oils. Castrol 05-30 for example is not a long life oil so you will get a lot of sludge build up.

Owes a Review × 1
humpnpump's picture

The problem with synthetic is the oil will last 10,000 miles, it's the filter that should be changed every 5k due to the debris and tiny chunks of metal.

woody51's picture

but it also depend on what kind of filter your running as well, membrane is where its at and cost the most.

IrishMack's picture

while you have a factory warranty, change it according to the manual, my car states 7500 miles for highway driving and 5k for city. I am still under warranty but once its over I am switching to 8~9k.

Hustle28's picture

Yea bro 5k is what they say but my buddy that's a mechanic says don't go over 7k or ur shit will burn out

fusebox's picture

How many miles do you put on in a year and how long are you gonna keep it

madman's picture

I must be old school because I still change mine every 3000 miles.

stang77's picture

Same here madman.

JL's picture

My 02. If you put on the miles in a short time. Then 10000 in 3-5 months is ok. The issue with oil is that the moment you run the oil in your engine it begins getting diluted and contaminated with metals from the engine, fuel vapor and gases from the combustion process. This causes the oil to become acidic over time and loose it's lubricant properties and viscosity.

Same for cars that sit for long periods with very few miles driven. Take a car for example that is driving a few 1000 miles a year. I would still change the oil at least once a year.

RickRock1086's picture

Every 30K, I have a Diesel Blum 3

crazymofo's picture

It really depends on how you drive it. I do mainly interstate driving. I like to change mine every 8k with full synthetic, filter change and add some sea foam as conditioner. Everytime I change it the oil looks like it is in good enough condition to just put back in it but I mean whats another $40 bucks to keep it running longer. My truck has 200k miles on it and runs great still doing that.

Goose24's picture

I usually change mine at 7000 and I run a full synthetic not the "synthetic blend"

juiceball8082's picture

I say 5k