Makwa's picture
Makwa
  • CC
  • PRO

+ 10 2019 EBC Spring Cutter Judging Criteria

ad

Time to get your game face on once again. I am sure many of you are curious as to how we are going to judge this EBC. A lot of hard work has gone into setting up the judging criteria to make this an awesome event for all those who enter. So without further ado, here are the criteria you will be judged on. In this spirit of this EBC you can see the biggies here are Definition/vascularity (it is a cutter after all) and Overall change (this is also a body challenge) so these are obviously going to be a major focus when judging. We feel the setup of these criteria really should open up the opportunity for anyone who brings their A-game for this event. This isn’t an event like a typical BB show where biggest ripped up mofo is the one who automatically wins it. This is our best attempt to make this EBC fair game for everyone. Technically, your biggest competitor here is going to be yourself.

The Criteria you will judged on

1) Mass (12.5% of total score)
2) Definition/vascularity (35% of total score)
3) Symmetry/Proportion (12.5% of total score)
4) Stage presence (5% of total score)
5) Overall change and improvement (35% of total score)

Here is a little background the criteria we will be judging

Mass

Pretty simple one here. The perception of muscular size. Fat doesn’t count as mass here.

Definition/Vascularity

Indicates the degree of muscularity brought about by the absence of subcutaneous body fat. This is a cutter so the more fat you strip off to show your striations, hardness and vascularity the better you will do. Big chunk of your scoring here so get as low as you can to score well.

Symmetry/Proportion:

Implies an even balance of muscular development in comparison to each muscle group. Theoretically, a "strong body part" can be just as detrimental as a "weak body part". Bodybuilders must strive for equal development between all muscle groups. Hopefully nobody will be suffering from CLS (Chicken leg syndrome)

Stage Presence:

This is a small component but yet I think it is important nonetheless. This Includes things such as posing performance (are you hitting the poses correctly) and other factors influencing general appearance such as skin tone, attire and your photos. Effective stage presentation is essential to display the physique to its maximum potential.

What do I mean by skin tone? Let’s face it; pasty white will not be your best look. A golden tan will highlight and show off your physique so much better. The striations will show, the separation will show, and the vascularity will show. All of this will be lost if you are pasty white. Along with proper skin tone goes with oiling up right. The right amount of oil will highlight those aspects even more but overdoing it will blur those out. You don’t have to tan in a booth, spray on tan and those types of things work just fine also.

I have already seen a lot questions on attire, so I will address it here also. You want to be wearing proper attire so that we can see all of your physique to judge it properly. You don’t want to be covered up. Wearing board shorts and tube socks will not bode well for you. I would highly advise some sort of BB trunks or classic posing shorts, hence these are designed to show all of the physique properly. For the women competitors, let’s leave the high heels off so everyone is flat footed.

Stage presence will also have to do with your pictures. Make sure there is proper lighting so we can actually see your physique. Try to minimize shadows. Use a good camera. Make sure the backdrop is uncluttered and not distracting. Remember if we can’t see it properly in your photos due to lighting or a shitty camera or whatever, you are not going to be judged properly.

Overall change and improvement

This is the Body Challenge aspect of the EBC and the other big component of your scoring. You are your biggest competitor here. This is where you will be pushing yourself to hopefully end up where you have never been before. I am expecting to see some significant changes from a lot of you.

Hopefully now you have a better understanding of the overall judging criteria so you can prepare accordingly. We as judges are not taking this lightly and wish all of you succeed in what you want to accomplish during this EBC.

Happy cutting!

Makwa's picture

Note: I want everyone to at least make some attempt at actually flexing during your poses.

It is pretty easy to tell who is just standing there during the pose and not flexing vs flexing. You should be flexing just as hard during your beginning as your ending photos. I know you are trying to look flat and small during your beginning photos but don't try and pull a fast one over on us. It probably won't go over well. Take these beginning photos just as seriously and put the effort into them that I know you will be with your ending shots.

Also, please try to hit the poses correctly. I see the most problem so far with the front lat spread. You are actually supposed to flare the lats during this pose, so let us see them. Not just stand with your hands on your hips.

HOWCANIHELPYOU's picture

I wonder is it top issue for Mr top jump in on this one

kibby's picture

I'll be honest mak. After never competing learning how to pose correctly is a fucking knighmare.......this is like learning to walk again lol

Owes a Review × 1
Makwa's picture

Imagine trying to hold each pose for 30+ seconds on stage. A pic is pretty easy. Get set, pop the pose, take pic, and done. The hardest pose to perform is the relaxed pose. You are obviously not relaxed. Every muscle in your body must be tensed and you have to hold that pose the entire time you are on stage waiting in the line. Could be 10-15min or more. You never know when the judges may pop a glance in your direction and if you are all relaxed it may cost you the show.

Porkbythapound's picture

So for the ebc contestants you don’t want a full loose relaxed pic no flexing? You want an actual bodybuilding relaxed front and back? From looking through pics it looks half and half maybe. Sorry for the ignorance I’m not around the contest lifestyle.

Makwa's picture

The relaxed poses are the hardest to pull off. You are supposed to look relaxed but yet every muscle in your body is being flexed. I am not so concerned about people not flexing during the relaxed poses since they are technically called relaxed. I am sure what you will see with the various competitors is the ones who have some stage experience will be doing these relaxed poses flexed and those who aren't will be just standing there completly relaxed. That is fine. But the other poses where you are actually expected to be flexing you should be flexing and not just standing there with your hands on your hips for your front lat spread for example.

Porkbythapound's picture

Great thanks for the explanation.

Porkbythapound's picture

About as difficult as learning when the k is silent... hahah jk. it is a pain is the ass though. I def look horrible trying every pose and it strains other little things that don’t like being strained.

exoticnfit's picture

you'll get used to it and conditioned for it as the weeks go on!

A good go of the poses so what is ASKED to be seen in the pose is best to focus on.

You will of course keep practicing over the 12weeks to get better at it for the big reveal and you'll also get the benefit of the added striations etc. and separation it will create with practicing.

There are many PROS that are horrible but they made it to the big stage regardless.

Slow and steady, practicing hold for 30s, 45, 60 and so on until you hit roughly 2mins or so before "relax pose" in between. Do about 5 repetitions for each pose in a row while looking in the mirror to start so you can start to FEEL what it is like to hit it correctly over time.

The good news with the EBC is you can use a mirror for both before and after and having the person taking pics right beside the mirror. Tell them you want a 3sec count down so you get to blow out the air on 2, smile and hold it for the camera shot.

Much easier to get it done this way and a few seconds of holding for the camera is going to feel like nothing after working on holding it for a minute or two!

You'll fart, wheez, feel like you need an oxygen tank and highly suggest keeping water near by and/or Gatorade so you can keep your electrolytes up during the session. Work on for 10, 15, 20 and 30 minutes per session and again...your after photos will be that much better for it.

Conditioning during the holds does wonders again for separation and striations!!!

Be safe and Train for Purpose!

Makwa's picture

I have never been sore in my life than the next day after a comp. The open, 3 master divisions, the night show and two posedowns made for a hell of a day. Actually got rhabdo one time from all the posing. Shows how hard it is on the muscles.

Practicing posing is an awesome workout. It really does make a difference in hardness and separation.

exoticnfit's picture

Amen brother Makwa!

Porkbythapound's picture

Awesome man, thanks for the pointers. Posing can be the tipping point for any close decisions.

kibby's picture

Lol

Back cramps oooooch!

And to think the pro's pose for hours

Owes a Review × 1
Makwa's picture

just a clarification. You don't need to have that glowing tan for your opening photos.

I suggested the tan since the impact from going from pasty white to a deep golden tan from opening to final pics will be much more dramatic., along with that tan showing off the physique better too.

heavymetalmonsterD's picture

Thanks again mak

Owes a Review × 1
Gettingbig's picture

I need to start to practice posing ive never done anything like this and I really want to do good in this competition.

Explained very well I don't even have any questions thanks brother

Makwa's picture

Good luck

Gettingbig's picture

I really appreciate it brother ive been bugging pale and Carlos since I became a member wanting to participate in a EBC.
Now that you are involved I also want to say thanks to you also brother

kibby's picture

Looks like I need to buy some teak oil....... I don't do sun/sunbeds or heat ;)

This gives EVERYONE a chance tbh so very fair in my eyes.

Thanks guys for doing this ++

Owes a Review × 1
johnmarshall12's picture

Very comprehensive and fair all around!

heavymetalmonsterD's picture

Thanks for the info mak

Owes a Review × 1
Carlos Danger's picture

I look at it as 35% transformation and 35% goal specific.
70% EBC centric.

In a promo × 1
Makwa's picture

EBC centric.

I like that

growthman's picture

Ah shieet don’t down play it brother you’re in my top 3

Carlos Danger's picture

You got this bro! You’ve got the knowledge and experience to make this a dogfight

In a promo × 1
Carlos Danger's picture

I feel you. Just warn the misses that you’re going to be grumpy as fuck for 12 wks on the diet program:) After about 3-4 wks though your body gets in the zone but it gets awfully lonely eating that way.

In a promo × 1
JUICEBOX0331's picture

I'm interested in seeing you guys transform, best of luck to everyone. I'll eat a big bison burger topped with double egg tonight for you.

GizmoDuck's picture

Hahahaha.