helloBrooklyn's picture
helloBrooklyn

Bench 225 for reps NFL combine style

ad

Anyone do this every once in a blue moon just for the hell of it? I haven't done this since back when I was natty when I did 225 for 30 reps at my very best. At the time my 1RM was 440 for a paused single.

Today I tried it for fun to see what I could do. First time I tried it since I started juicing. 47 reps. I did not think I'd get that many tbh. I haven't maxed out even once since I started bodybuilding, but if I specifically trained for it I bet I could hit 5 plates with a competition pause within 4 months… hmm.

Nah. I'll stick with bodybuilding. My powerlifting days are done. Gotta get that itch right off of my mind.

What's the best you've ever hit 225 for NFL combine style, fellas?

Taten's picture

Eddie Hall did 52. I hope you are not pulling a blaha. 47 reps is nutty.

helloBrooklyn's picture

A lot of ballistic speed work using Louie Simmons’ WS conjugate style training. It’s less about strength and more about endurance. i.e., how many reps can you do with 225 and how quickly can you get them done before it starts to burn too bad to continue? It’s not an issue of the weight being too heavy, it’s a matter of metabolic fatigue becoming a limiting factor. A big boy like Eddie, I can only imagine that kind of burn

fitnessfreak69's picture

I bench 405.. What helped me is doing 5 sets of 315 working my reps up to 8-10.. Wait about 4-5mins between each set and try to get same number of reps each time. At first you'll get the reps cause youre fresh.. As you get more sets you have less energy but the bar seems lighter so you can still push the reps.. If you are able to rep out 3 plates for ten you should be able to hit 405.. Same concept for 3 plates.. This method got me pretty far! Then at the end have a nice burn out or drop set to get those extra reps it

press1's picture

To hit 405 you need to be able to do 315 for 8/9 reps. Waiting 12 to 15 minutes between maximum set efforts is the optimal rest time for energy and ATP replenishment I've found, plus keeping the muscle at optimal temperature.

In a promo × 1
Caeser's picture

How much ya’ bench? ...haha...this is a meaningless measure of power/strength/athletic ability... this may only be appropriate for a powerlifter & I doubt most go for max rep on bench...

You want better measure of true power/strength/functionality...how much ya’ deadlift should be the question.

helloBrooklyn's picture

We all know this. I didn’t ask how much anyone benches.

GulfCoastGorilla's picture

Well, I'm not even close. I have done this for 16. Max is 315. Feel like I should rep this more after reading other comments. I may train for this for a different work out the next couple months.

helloBrooklyn's picture

All my benching is paused and done to full lockout. No touch and go, no incomplete reps, ever, for work sets. That 47 was the first time I did TNG in months and all the paused work made it feel like butter out of the hole. That's my recommendation for strength, hypertrophy, and injury prevention: do all your benching paused and to full lockout, no matter the rep range. If you're used to touch and going and doing partial reps you'll have to drop the ego and lower the weight to start.

Cummin apart's picture

I'm pretty much the same... it's been a while so I can't remember if it was 16 or 17 reps,
Can do 315 too when shoulder is feeding good! Lol

helloBrooklyn's picture

Smokes the combine record. Nice. Now I gotta shoot for 70…

Gettingbig's picture

Thats a great number
Whats your normal bench weight for workout?
I don't remember exactly mine we did this in high school then it was high 30s

Beltabuser's picture

I've only done sets of 30 after my normal bench routine. The last time I pulled my pec a bit so I'm done with that lol

Owes a Review × 1