GizmoDuck's picture
GizmoDuck

+ 5 Sterile Technique 101

ad

OK. So your new gear has arrived. YAY. ok so what exactly do you do. just pull your pants down or lift your sleeve up and inject.. NO...

First of all you need to make sure you have all the proper supplies. Sterile needles, Sterile Syringes, alcohol pads, or alcohol and cotton balls. Personally I prefer the pads. And as Rusty and Nitti have mentioned you can also use Whatman filters.

When it comes to filters know this:

A 5-micron filter removes large particles that may have been introduced during product preparation, such as glass particles from glass ampules. The 0.22-micron filter is one of the smallest used in patient care, and removes bacteria. There are not currently filters that remove viruses. Apr 6, 2015
Function of a micron filter - ONA

https://www.oncologynurseadvisor.com › .

First thing first. ALWAYS WASH HANDS with soap and water, or if your hands are visibly not dirty you can use those hand sanitizers that kill off 99% of germs. Also, if you want and have, you can wear gloves after you have cleaned hands

For the needles and syringes it is best practice to use 1 needle and 1 syringe per injection. Make sure you inspect the packaging for damage, opened, contaminates, and EXPIRATION DATE. if any of those are present or expired discard and do not use.

OK. So now those have all passed inspections you are ready to withdraw your oil

Procedure for septum vials

Wipe the access diaphragm (septum) with 70% alcohol (isopropyl alcohol or ethanol) on a swab or cotton-wool ball before piercing the vial, and allow to AIR DRY before inserting a device into the bottle.

1. Use a sterile syringe and needle for each insertion into a multidose vial.

2. Never leave a needle in a multidose vial.

3. Once the loaded syringe and needle has been withdrawn from a multidose vial, administer the injection as soon as possible.

Procedure to disinfect skin:

1.Apply a 60–70% alcohol-based solution (isopropyl alcohol or ethanol) on a single-use swab or cotton- wool ball. DO NOT use methanol or methyl-alcohol as these are not safe for human use.

2.Wipe the area from the center of the injection site working outwards, without going over the same area.

3.Apply the solution for 30 seconds then allow it to dry completely. DO NOT BLOW IT DRY OR SWIPE IT DRY

Now you can inject. However, make sure you aspirate to ensure you are not in a blood vessel.

RESOURCES:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK138495/

https://www.eroids.com/forum/general/general-talk/taking-that-extra-prec...

https://www.oncologynurseadvisor.com › .

johnmarshall12's picture

All very helpful information! Most should pay heed to this as it takes a lil longer to do it right but avoiding catastrophe is worth it! +

dextetherdog's picture

Great read, another reminder for us. All of us getting lazy or maybe in a rush and sometimes miss some of the safety precautions and that’s when infection creeps up.

herpjunkie111's picture

Inspect your needles too before drawing and injecting. Several weeks ago I opened a BD 23 gauge syringe/needle and right before I inserted to draw I noticed this weird flaky white film coating the entire needle pretty much. Never expected that! I had already used dozens from that 100ct box with no issues and all the rest were absolutely fine, but now I always hold the needle in the light for a quick inspection. Weird as hell but just shows how anything can go wrong if you get complacent and don't pay close attention.

0newheelup's picture

X2 on what Heavy was saying. I also have a nice sterile stainless steel tray to station my supplies on. U never know how clean the countertops are ur on. I wash my hands good, all kinds of bacteria under ur fingernails. And always use a fresh needle to draw oil and a fresh one to pin. I've never really though about filters until now. Thank u for the insight brother!

heavymetalmonsterD's picture

+1great post brother.. one can never be reminded too much of this stuff..it's very easy to get lazy with this which is the worst possible thing you can do

Owes a Review × 1
Hunter2400's picture

Great write up for new and experienced folks. I like to prep and perform my injections directly after a shower just for added cleanliness. I still use alchohol pads before and after injection as well.

Makwa's picture

Good info Gizmo.

GizmoDuck's picture

Rusty. can you post some abscess pics

Makwa's picture

No Rusty!! Please don't!!

fusebox's picture

Yeah I've seen those too many times