addicted.to.pain's picture
addicted.to.pain

2018 Mr.Olympia Revisited

ad

Let me say first there are plenty of dudes on these forums that have eyes trained and experienced to see things on that stage that I do not, so this is all just my conjecture.

Setting aside Phil Heaths character flaws, and just looking at the competition objectively I do not think Shawn Rodin won that Sandow fairly . Shawn Rodin was in the best condition I've ever seen him in , he has finished in the top five at the Olympia numerous times so I'm not saying he doesn't deserve an Olympia win, I'm just saying he didn't beat Phil Heath.

Most critics point out Phil Heaths distended gut, yea that is the one thing Rodin smoked him on , but show me a Mr.Olympia since Yates that didn't have a distended gut, I'm pretty sure everyone in the top ten including Shawn Rodin have a distended gut, they chose Heaths gut because it was the one thing they could legitimately point out. In my opinion for someone to beat the current Mr.Olympia, they need to beat him soundly in almost all poses+conditioning+symmetry , Shawn Rodin beat Phil Heath in one area, and matched a few.

I think there are two reasons they dethroned Phil Heath.
1. It was good for the sport to mix it up and crown a new Mr.Olympia to keep it fresh.
2. They do not want the likes of Phil heath to match the all time record much less break it.

What do you guys think?

kareba11's picture

How long has it been)

Mrcoolbeans's picture

Imo it’s very simple.
Shawn, more classic shape, but lacks back development, triceps are almost nonexsistent, and I’d say lower to upper is just slightly unbalanced, favoring the legs “which i can relate too “ haha.
Phil, probabaly not his best condition but amazing!!!
Amazing muscle belly’s and freak factor.
Terrible waist line and probably not as good flow as 2011. Which was one of my favorite looks.
Phil wasn’t his best again but imo killed Shawn in everything if you don’t include the stomach. But JUDGES ARE LOOKING now since everyone has been giving them shit, which they should be.
So at the end of the day, it’s a objective sport.
Some might look past the waist and give it to Phil, some can’t look past it and gives it to Shawn.....

But i give it to Roelly all day. Freaky like Phil but waist in check.... condition could be better though. His Arnold was top notch!!!

Sam I Am's picture

Rhodens the first one since Haney that I'd like to look like...he won imo.
Wtf wants to look like someone who's about to drop dead ?

Owes a Review × 1
giardap's picture

It was closer than previous years, but I think Rhoden deserved the win. He was far more conditioned. Beat Phil at the upper front, not at the upper back, lost side chest triceps, beat Phil at most muscular
They were almost even, but with one difference... the stomach is involved in so many poses and the judges are now listening. thats all it is.

Phil needs to do what Roelly did in recent years with his belly or else jog off into the sunset.

johnmarshall12's picture

Monstrous mass may go the way of the Dinosaur! Most members of eroids prefer the "Golden Era" physiques anyway! It's time to put symmetry back in the game!

addicted.to.pain's picture

I agree with you guys, I hope the Olympia Stage has a more conditioned aesthetic look in the coming years.

Still pretty sure most of the guys on stage in 2018 didn't get that memo from the Olympia leadership.

Goose24's picture

They did this as a message to the BB community. They don't want that look anymore IMO. I'm sure younger eyes see this and think that's what you have to look like to win the Arnold. Years ago BB's used to use FAR fewer drugs and look much better.

Fred G.Sanfords's picture

I think they are taking a step back to the golden age of body building, lately it’s all been about just how much mass a guy can put on. I think they’ll start leaning towards a more aesthetic look. But time will tell if that’s the case.

Rough's picture

I hope they do go back to the golden age of bodybuilding. Not a big fan of the cattle look

Fred G.Sanfords's picture

I agree 100%